Monday, February 22, 2016

The Plan of Action

Making the decision to live full time in an RV requires thorough planning, and one must consider all aspects of the move.  There's no right way, I've found. It should be an individual plan tailored to what's right for you and your family. With that said, I've found a plan that works for me, and also might work for you. The basis of this plan is the fact that I have not yet sold my house, but I have purchased my RV home. We purchased a used RV, which I recommend for newbies, if only that the investment will be much lower than a new RV if you decide this lifestyle is not right for you. Also, most new RVs can lose up to 20% of their value as soon as they are driven off of the dealer's lot. Purchasing used, however, comes with its own set of problems. One might not have the original manuals. There may be repairs and modifications that need to be made before moving into the vehicle. And, of course it is going to take some time to sort through your stuff and decide what to keep. Then, there's the actual packing and unpacking. This process will require decisions on what needs to be taken and what are extraneous or simply desires. The needs are pretty straight forward; dishes, for instance. But, you will have to decide which dishes and how many. You will have to do this with every household item from towels and linens to clothing. Then there's the stuff you want to take; maybe it's a print or wall hanging that is dear to you, maybe it's a nic nac or collectible, maybe it's your book collection. In each case you will have to determine if it's worth the weight and if there is a place for it on the RV. Also, you should ask yourself if it will add value to your life, or if it will just add clutter.

The plan I am full steam ahead with allows me to live in the RV in a local park while being able to take care of my house while it is on the market and still have a support group of my family and friends in the local area. It allows me to continue to work part time and save money for the new lifestyle. In essence, I've become a full timer and a workamper without leaving the town that I've lived in for the last 20 years. 

When I first moved into the RV almost 4 months ago, I loaded it up with the things I thought I would need, use and want. Since then I've been able to look back and see what I have really used and what is extraneous and can be removed.  I've sorted through my clothes and linens and found that I was able to discard some of these items; I donated most to Goodwill. I decided to keep one extra set of sheets so I can change sheets and have the extra set if company visits. I keep three throw blankets that can double as covers when I have guests or are used to snuggle on the sofa or when I'm watching TV at night and I fall asleep, or as a cover on my new sofa when Chloe, the Yorkie decides to bring her wet or dirty paws inside. Even though I clean and dry her paws and fur at the door, I'm just not ready to let her have free reign of the sofa without the additional protection of the covers. These covers also complement my decor so they can be thrown over the back of the chair or sofa, out of the way when not in use. I've found that if an item can have more than one use, it is a good choice for the RV.

I love to cook and have brought an assortment of pots and pans as well as dishes along for the ride. Even so, I've found that many of the items I brought were destined for Goodwill, and I purchased a few additional items that are conducive to my new lifestyle. When considering dishes, pots and pans and small appliances, I think it's important to first determine how much cooking you will do, what type of cooking and how many people you will be cooking for. Initially I purchased plastic dinner plates, bowls and saucers but decided I really disliked eating from plastic. To enrich my life, it was important to have glass plates and bowls. So, I compromised and purchased a set of four since most of the time it would only be my husband and I that I am cooking for. The additional plates are used for serving platters when needed or on occasions when I have company. If there are more than four dining with us, it's paper plates to the rescue. The bowls are large enough to use as mixing bowls for scrambling eggs, making gravy or sauces in the microwave or warming up and steaming vegetables in the microwave, yet small enough to be used as soup or cereal bowls and are small enough to take up little storage space. I have two wine glasses, four 8 ounce stackable cups, four 16 ounce stackable cups and four glass coffee mugs. I round out my cabinet with a couple of small storage containers for left overs, but if possible I use freezer storage bags both for freezing items and for leftovers in the refrigerator. I have a full set of eight forks, knives, butter knives and spoons as well as a selection of cooking utensils - ladles, can opener, corkscrew, spatula, and the like. Over the past few months I have been able to discard and donate several of the utensils that I've found to be unused and therefore extraneous. 

I've found that most of the cooking I do is for one or two people and so some of my small appliances were not being used. In truth, they were only used occasionally in my sticks and bricks home, but there I didn't have to consider storage and weight like I have to in the RV. The large crock pots, warmers, blender, juicer, bread maker, mixer with bowls, platters, baking pans, pots, various other pans and skillets went the way of Goodwill or were sold at one of three garage sales. Since I am in a park and hooked up to electricity, I found that I can save money by using electrical appliances (since electricity is included in my lot rent, and propane is not), so I've reviewed and ultimately purchased a couple of electrical appliance that have come in handy. I still like to make soups and chili, but have nowhere to store leftovers (or limited space for leftovers), so I purchased a small crock pot that takes up less space and of course, meets the criteria of running on electricity. I kept my electric griddle for omelets, grilled cheese, pancakes and such since I used it almost weekly in my home. I've found in the RV, though, that I haven't used it at all. It may be time to get rid of it, too. I purchased an induction stove top complete with stainless steel fry pan, but may have rushed into this purchase as I've yet to master cooking on this appliance. It's beneficial in that it's electric and can serve as a cook top if you're out of propane or want to save on propane. The appliance doesn't get hot since induction technology only heats the area that comes into contact with the magnetic cookware, leaving the unused portion of the element unheated. There is no open flame or red-hot coil to ignite fumes or flammable materials. It's flat surface, with no grates or coils makes it easy to clean using a damp cloth or sponge. I also like the fact that it's square, making ultimate use of storage space. but it has some drawbacks too. I can only use magnetic pans for the worktop, making my favorite skillet useless. I find it difficult to control the temperature, regardless of its advertisement stating it has precision heating controls. The jury is still out on this appliance. I kept my quesadilla maker and use it for breakfast, lunch and dinner creations. It runs on electricity and makes delicious, crispy quesadillas in minutes.  I fill tortillas with scrambled eggs, sausage and cheese for breakfast, ham, or turkey and cheese for lunch or pizza ingredients, Philly cheese steak ingredients and many more creations for a hearty dinner menu when combined with soup and salad.  It's a keeper!

For now, my plan of action, living in the RV while I am selling my home is working out great and I'm learning just what I need to know before I hit the road. 

Come back soon and visit my page as I write about other space saving RV tips and my transition to full time RV living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment